Last night I went to book club! The exclamation mark is used because it is the first one I was actually able to attend since moving. I had read at least 2 other books, but something always came up and I wasn't able to make it. I love reading and have really missed my Oklahoma book club.
It is a great book club and I had a wonderful time. The book that we read was To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. One member of the group brought an O magazine that had an article about/by Harper Lee. Surprising, because she has been relatively media silent most of her life. A new Capote movie with Sandra Bullock is coming out. Sandra plays Harper Lee who was good friends with Capote from childhood. Lee says that the character of Dill was inspired by Capote. There is even a "rumor", if you will, that Capote wrote Mockingbird! At times he has denied it and at other times he hasn't. Hmm. *cough* phooey *cough* I thought this was very interesting information that I had never heard before. I also didn't realize that the movie "To Kill A Mockingbird" was made just one short year after the book's release. That would make it 1961, (I think) and 1961 America was definitely still very much segregated. It gives an interesting new take on the movie, don't you think?
At one point in the discussion, I had an 80 yr young lady on my right saying something and a 60 yr young lady disagreeing on my left. It was very interesting to hear life experience vs. education.
My favorite thing about the book was it's subtle promotion of unschooling ideas. Scout goes to first grade where she is told that she shouldn't be able to read, that Atticus (her dad) has tought her all wrong and that the dewey dicimal system is the only correct way for children to learn! Throughout the book Scout, Jem and Dill learn through playing together, reading with Atticus and being around people in their town. The only things they learn in school are not tought by their teachers, but by being around other children. I really liked this because I am leaning heavily towards unschooling my children.
All fun stuff! Next month: A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
Friday, February 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Believe it or not--I'm in a book club here in OH. I thought I would have a better chance of actually READING if I were in a book club. So far I've only read part of one book--the one that I introduced, THE STORY OF MY LIFE by Helen Keller. Really, really good!
I'm so glad that you read, I wish it were something that would rub off on me...*send me your reading vibes, Maria*
Post a Comment