Nestlé-Free Zone



Thursday, February 22, 2007

Emma bowseh


Just the other day I was looking something up on the internet when I heard the juiciest poots coming from one of my children! Quite surprised I turned and saw just what was making all of the racket. My 23 month old Emma was expertly blowing loud raspberries on my 3 month old Daniel's exposed tummy! After each blowfish, Daniel would giggle and smile while Emma proudly declared "Emma bowseh!" Coincidently, before Daniel was born Emma adored giving my swelling belly blowfish. Perhaps this is how she perfected the skill. Ahhh - the wonderful world of parenthood. I absolutely love it!


Check out this link. I find that unfortunately I am not alone in my recent experience.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to write and say I found your anger over your breastfeeding issues to be very misplaced. I feel you have missed the point entirely. We wear the garment in part to remain modest and the garment covers the breast. Of course feeding a baby is natural but the men in your congregation do not need to look at your breast. What if someone in the congregation has addiction issues involving pornography and church for them is a refuge from thoughts of that nature? Do you think you can somehow alter their thoughts and feelings? Of course breastfeeding is natural and right but there is a time and place for everything. The mother's lounge is nowhere close to a bathroom. It is made comfortable and convenient. And you can even breastfeed in Sacrament meeting if you remain covered up. I feel that as church members we have a responsibility to be Christlike. Isn't that what our mission is? Even if you don't agree you don't need to turn into a "mormon feminist" but turn the other cheek and bear in mind that some people are uncomfortable. Surely you can nurse discreetly to adhere to the wishes of your Bishop who is called of God. Humility is hard and it is often our first instinct to just please ourselves. Please consider others as well. We really need to emulate Christ seeing as we take the Sacrament every week in good faith.

Anonymous said...

At the building where my ward meets, the 'mother's lounge' is connected to the bathroom. It's loud, smelly, small and cold, and often the soft seats intended for nursing mothers are filled by small children waiting for others, or by teenage girls talking. If yours is not in any way connected to a bathroom, count yourself lucky. My experience with five children is that most buildings put the mother's room right next to, connected to, a bathroom. By the way, don't you feel so safe not using your name. At least Ang on the other post comments used her own name.

Anonymous said...

I don't apologise for my comments at all. If my name would cause you to reflect on what Heavenly Father would have you do when the Bishop asks you to do something you don't agree with, then I'd publish it. As it is I don't intend to send in my subscription to "mormon feminists" or engage in any arguments. I take it I have pricked a few consciences and that is good enough for me.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your mother's lounge is practically a bathroom by the way and because of that it would be appropriate to nurse with a blanket. We are blessed in our building to have proper facilities which I have been able to make use of while I nursed my three children.

Carolyn said...

anonymous, obviously you haven't tried nursing a baby who hates blankets or coverings of any kind. In my experience using a blanket can make it much more indescreet to nurse. My mother's room smells like poopy diapers and doesn't have a clock. Also the sink pressure is very low so I have a hard time getting the water hot in the sink (I use cloth wipes so I need warm water). I also need water pressure to wash down my baby's pees when I have the baby pee in the sink (we do elimination communication, which is a gentle form of infant potty training). Even though the mother's room is pretty nice, it's not nice enough for me to actually want to use it on a regular basis mostly due to the smell.

Yes she can turn the other cheek but that doesn't mean she has to be a doormat, either. The bishop is in a hard position. He is also human and may be so fixated on one solution that he is blind and deaf to what the spirit is saying. I know we all do this. We want the answer to be something so badly that we ignore the truth and listen to what we want to hear. Bishops are not immune to this. I know my bishop has made many, many mistakes and has disappointed my family before. That doesn't make him any less of a leader and it doesn't make me stop sustaining him. I know he was called of God. I also know he has his own set of problems and prejudices going into the job. He's human and he is not perfect.

Anonymous said...

I am happy for Carolyn's Bishop. What more could a Bishop hope for than a woman in his congregation to point out to him when he may be missing the point of the Spirit's promptings. Who needs the prieshood?