Nestlé-Free Zone



Friday, January 19, 2007

I just poot!

Book Review: The Captain of Her Heart by Anita Stansfield

I am, what is the right word. Irritated? Frustrated? Livid? Disgusted? I am all of these in response to what I read in a novel tonight. A bit of light reading. I got it as part of a book exchange book group. It is a light romance novel set in the 1770's. It is really not very well written - many phrases or words blared 1990's. What made me feel all of the above was the scene of a home birth near the end. This author is the mother of 5 children, none of whom I respectfully surmise were born at home. There are no less than 4 accounts of characters being ever so glad for a doctor, even when a neighbor woman is there already helping out. Had male doctors really already taken over the women's place in childbirth in 1770? But I will share with you the gem of this paragraph. My apologies ahead to anyone whose birth experience may have been like the one she portrayed. Perhaps this does happen, but I will never believe it is the norm.

While he'd (the father) believed that this couldn't possibly get any worse, suddenly it was. Rather than coming and going, the pain became constant. She groaned and pushed, digging her fingers into his arms while she nearly went mad from the pain. She raged and protested, swearing that she couldn't possibly do this, and she cursed him for causing her so much trouble and grief.

WTH!! After b$%^g to Tuan about this for a bit I came to the conclusion that what really bothers me the most about this is that a romance novel aimed at a young female audience would have this bullspit in it. Who wouldn't read that as a teen and vow - "I'm never having babies! I'll just adopt! Sign me up for the epidural right now!" I will clarify - none of those things by themselves are bad. But I feel that girls/women who decide to do them because this kind of info about childbirth was constantly fed to them through these kind of books are in a way robbed of their rights of birthing. There is so much more that I want to say and rehash, but that's probably enough to get my feelings across.

One final thought. I felt very dis-empowered as a woman after reading this book. I will not be reading any sequels or recommending it to anyone I feel very strongly about this. Had I not stumbled upon the correct information, (thank God for you, Sarah!) I would have been a victim to this kind of propaganda.

On a lighter note! Tonight while Tuan and I were discussing a chapter in Alma with Emma, she wandered into the bathroom and played for a minute or so with the door mostly closed. I know that she gets some of what I say even if it seems she isn't listening, but I was especially tickled when she opened the door and in the middle of my thought said "uh-huh! uh-huh" While vigorously nodding her head. It was adorable and I told her that she was about the most adorable thing I had ever seen. No sooner had I finished saying this than she pushed out quite a loud poot! I started cracking up but soon completely fell down laughing when she ran over to us declaring "I just poot!" Now, I may enjoy an occasional cathartic release myself, but I don't suppose I am quite as proud of them as Emma is!

1 comment:

Mamapierce said...

Poot, eh? Anna somehow came up with the word "BEEP." I have to tell you, when she says that she "beeped," it's hard to maintain my composure!!!

Thanks for sharing!