Nestlé-Free Zone



Wednesday, November 18, 2009

EC or Elimination Communication

We practice EC or Elimination Comunication and have with all three of our kids. Instead of teaching them that is is ok to pee and poop in a diaper (cloth or sposie) and then re-teach them to only pee and poop in a toilet we help them learn from birth to eliminate in a small potty/sink/toilet. Just like your baby will give you cues to help you learn when they are hungry they will also give you cues as to when they need to eliminate.

With Emma we used sposies as back-up and I went by timing more or less. I had a lot of misses and she took a potty strike when we moved across the country.
With Daniel we used poquito pants or one-wets as back-up. I also ECed him at night. He was night-dry at 8-mos. For the first few months of his life I worked on strengthening my intuition and connection with Daniel. I would just hold him and offer him the potty any time that I had a thought "maybe he needs to pee". I much prefer that method to timing! lol
With Beth I am doing as I did with Daniel but have added soakers. Love the soakers! But our night-time routine is very different. Daniel would latch on and pee into the bowl I would hold him over. Beth hates to pee while nursing. So I use poquito pants on her at night instead of bare-bum like Daniel.

When Emma was born my sister visited us for a week and brought us a Baby Bjorn Little Potty. I really love them! I just bought two more since we have a second floor now. But when they came I saw that they have a new design.
The potty on the left if their old design - the one I much prefer.



The new design is great for toddlers but it is too tall and too wide for a newborn. We have to hold her over the large one and inevitably pee gets all over - I miss being able to aim my boy! lol


But she can sit assisted on the smaller ones.


My sister and I are trading potties for now. I got right to work making potty covers for them. That plastic is cold on little legs and bums!

I think the zebra print is my favorite!

1 comment:

Annie said...

She is SO cute sitting on there! Boys do have their advantages though, don't they... :)