Nestlé-Free Zone



Saturday, November 10, 2007

I don't need chocolate or diamonds - just give me 'flours'

I recently aquired a wheat grinder from my mom. I loved being able to throw in some wheat, grind it and make a pizza crust from the freshest flour available.

When I cut wheat from my diet I began using it for other flours.
White rice flour
Brown rice flour
Maize flour (corn)
Oat flour

The great thing about giving up wheat is discovering all the other grains out there besides wheat.
Millet
Quinoa
Buckwheat
Teff
Potato Starch/Flour
Tapioca Starch

The binder I use that does the job gluten does (binding and stretching) is Guar-Gum.

I have yet to replicate anything resembling a fluffy white roll but it's actually becoming less important and I discover all the other yummy breads I can make. For now it's still hit or miss.

Miss:


Edible, but anything but fluffy dinner rolls.











Hit!

3 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Of course! Cookies are ALWAYS a hit! lol!

Maggie said...

you've inspired me! off to price grinders. if you have any suggestions on what to by and/or where do let me know!

Maggie said...

i'm being totally obnoxious and TAGGING you. HAHAHA! (<-- that's my evil laugh) read my blog to get the lowdown on what to do. :D