Nestlé-Free Zone



Friday, November 16, 2007

Cilantro meat sauce


Sounds a bit boring. Any suggestions for a snazzier name?

This has become one of my favorite wheat/casin free meals. I'm not a food photagrapher (I really should take a class on that!) so I'm not sure the picture really does it justice. It's fabulous! It all started when I pulled out my frying pan and started throwing things in. :o) This is truly a what-we-have-in-the-fridge dish.

Cilantro Meat Sauce

1/2 lb (1 lb for you big meat eaters out there! ;o} sausage
1/2 red (or color of your choice) bell pepper diced
2 green onions (or more if you really love 'em) cut diagonally in 1/2-1 in lengths
1/2 cup (or as much as you can stand) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Enough of whatever you plan to serve it on to feed two people

Heat your pan to hot before putting the meat on. Let it sizzle until a nice sear develops. Use a wooden spoon to crumble and cook until the sugars carmalize and it is no longer pink. Add a drizzle of olive oil if it looks dry. Toss in the bell pepper and some sea salt and fresh ground pepper. After a few minutes toss in the onion and let it get just the soft/crispness that you like. Wilt in the cilantro and remove from the heat. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Spoon over you choice of carbs ;o). Enjoy!

It really is the cilantro that makes this dish. Really - the more cilatro the better. Oh, and I have made it with both and there is definately a difference. Supermarket pork is fine. But pork raised on your sister's farm and barterd for with fabric yardage (everyone wins - except maybe my sis husband! hee, hee) is really the only way to go. Fabulous, fabulous meat! (thanks, Sarah!)

No comments: