Emma standing proudly next to her garden. She painted the sign herself. Much better garden this year than last. She has petunias, eggplant, purple coneflower, peas, tomatos and a pepper plant.
The kids made these stepping stones in art camp. Lots of fun! Tuan helped Daniel paint his sign. Usually his garden is bursting with petunia flowers but the stars just didn't align to get the pic and the flowers all at once. Bummer.
You can see his faded rock ladybug. The paint was just waterbased. Boo. My rhubarb (so proud of how well it's doing!), raspberries and some peas that Daniel and I planted.
We liberally spread calendula and marigold seeds that my sister saved from her garden last year. It was really late in the season though so I'm not sure we'll get flowers before it gets too cold. :o(
This was here when we moved in - any ideas what it is?
Emma's pea patch. They aren't super healthy but are really trying. We'll get a few peas (our favorite!) this season.
Teddy Bear sunflowers and polyheaded sunflowers. Not sure we'll see orange and yellow this season or not.
I'm sad to say that this is our tee-pee. I just haven't put any rope up or planted morning glories like I had planned to. The lillies at the doorway were gorgeous in bloom though!
Ok - on to my garden.
Tomatos -
I think these are the yellow pear that Emma requested. (I'm awesome at labeling can't you tell?)
Standard sandwich tomato
Roma
My sister found Chikelida huckleberry seeds - they are an annual and not the usual perrenial variety. They are huge! Up to my chest. They have lots of berries which should turn a gorgeous purple in late Aug/Sept. I can't wait!!
I planted flowers along the edge of the garden - only the back ones really show up. I love snapdraggons - def prefer them to petunias.
Sweet peppers. All of my plants looked so small - I wasn't sure which ones would survive so I just palnted them all. But I'm such a softie that I can't thin anything out to save my life. So I have tons of plants all too close together. It's probably hindering their pollination and production. I learned this lesson with carrots my first garden. I don't think I'm a very good student! lol
Brocolli - I had such high hopes for them. They were so healthy. But our late, long, cool spring turned into a hot summer overnight and they all bolted. Bah!
My favorite snapdragons are the deep red ones. I was silly and planted them too close to the tomatoes and they get way too much shade.
A portion of our front lawn was just dirt where the previous owners parked their car. My very generous bil brought in some dirt and I spread 3 oz of flax seeds onto it. Scarlet, blue and a variety that I can't remember the name but it is from the snapdragon family. Did I mention that I love snapdragons? No? Well, I do! lol
This is in my yard! Really! Don't you just feel like you are in the mountains? I LOVE it! I haven't seen any blue peek up yet, but the blooms have just begun to show these past two weeks.
The kids and I sprinkled a shade wildflower mix among the irises.
Not as colorful as last year. Oh well.
Teddy Bear sunflowers amongst the wildflowers. Everything just had such a slow start this year but I'm really hoping for some sunflower blooms before fall.
I have big plans for this area next year. Emma wants to sell flowers at the farmers market to earn money for "my own skateboard and guitar". This would be a great place to grow them. Any suggestions for a nice cut flower that she could sell at the market?


4 comments:
Wow, you have QUITE a garden! I love how involved your children are in gardening. Anna had a butterfly garden of zinnias in OH. So fun. :D
Loved this post! And so jealous of how well your Chiquilitas are doing. None of mine survived the cats getting into my start area. :(
I am jealous of the huckleberries. They sell cut flowers at our Market. Ususally a mix of flowers. I'll look and see if I recognize any. The gladiola's were selling 2 weeks ago.
Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm so glad for google reader that lets you know when I've popped back onto the scene!
Post a Comment