Nestlé-Free Zone



Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Do Schools Kill Creativity?

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/66

This is a witty, informative talk. It is 20 min long so if you don't have time just skip to the end - around the 17:50 min mark. He will give a conclusion that sums up his talk. I enjoyed it very much.

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

Where is the talk? I don't see anything...am I missing it?

Maria said...

sorry - it showed up on the draft but not when I published it. It's there now. :o)

Anonymous said...

Haven't listened yet, but I will soon. My gut feeling is that schools DO kill creativity, under the phrases "Let's get serious" and "Pay attention" and the concepts of "real learning" and "core subjects" and the fact that a public school is governmentally funded, and so it is under the obligation to teach what the government says it needs to teach. They want citizens (or slaves) who obey without thinking for themselves (an educated populace). We might fight back if we know too much. Just some personal thoughts.

KC

Dale said...

His take on professors is very well spoken - they live in their heads... and that's why I got out!

This talk also reminds me of my current favorite quote:

Let us read and let us dance: two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Sarah said...

KC - I couldn't agree more. "They want citizens (or slaves) who obey without thinking for themselves (an educated populace)." I can listen to just about any political opinion except for the one that has as its base point "They're the leaders of our country. They know what they're doing. We should just listen to them." Ugh.

TP, I love this talk. The story about the counselor who told the mom to just let the girl dance was wonderful. My husband always says that 90% of ADD diagnosed kids are just kids stuck in a situation with no physical outlet. Even those that are true ADD would do better with non-medicated approaches.

Sarah