
Thu Jun 28, 10:27 AM
"CAIRO (AFP) - Egypt on Thursday finally banned all female circumcision, the widely-practised removal of the clitoris which just days ago cost the life of a 12-year-old girl. (Thankfully all forms, not just clitordectomy) On Thursday, Health Minister Hatem al-Gabali decided to ban every doctor and member of the medical profession, in public or private establishments, from carrying out a clitoridectomy, a
ministry press official told AFP. Any circumcision "will be viewed as a violation of the law and all contraventions will be punished," said the official, adding that it was a
"permanent ban"."
If both Emma and Daniel were not sleeping right now, I would be jumping up and down, screaming with happiness!


4 comments:
It's atrocious that ANYONE would think mutilating a little girl is/was okay. HELLO!?!
I didn't know that this sort of thing was happening in so many countries. It's just terrible. By the way, whenever I have a son--they will most definitely not be circumsized.
*does another dance of joy!*
I'm glad to hear that Egypt has officially banned this. However, it is such an ingrained custom there, that most of the poorer women will still be subjected to this tragedy. I recently read a book series titled "Princess" http://www.jeansasson.com/princess_trilogy.htm
I highly recommend this series that chronicles actual events in Saudi Arabia. It addresses female circumcision several times. In the third book, the author actually tries to convince a mother not to allow her daughter to be mutilated but the mother is the one who felt the strongest that it is a tradition that should be honored. Horrifying.
Indeed, tradition and culture are very powerful forces. In cases like this it is especially heartbreaking.
Post a Comment