Nestlé-Free Zone



Saturday, December 29, 2007

Well - #&$#^@%^!!

This one is for my sister because she can't eat any sugar right now.

Skillet Cornbread
Dry Ingredients:

1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup rice or sorghum flour (I used long-grain brown rice that I milled)
1/2 cup tapioca or potato starch
(Sarah - I'm guessing that 2 1/4 cups wheat flour could be subbed for the rice/starch mixture)
1 teaspoon xanthan um
1 taspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon chili powder or cinnamon
1 teaspoon stevia powder

Wet Ingredients:

2 large organic free range eggs
1/2 cup plus two tablespoons light olive oil or veetable oil
1 cup plain rice milk or cows milk

Preheat yoru oven to 350 degrees F
Lightly oil a 9-10 inch iron skillet.
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
In a large mixing bol, combine the eggs with the oil and milk and beat for one minute.
Add in the dry ingredients and beat by hand just until a smooth batter is formed, about one minute. If your batter seems a little dry, add a tablespoon more liquid at a time until you achieve a smooth consistency.)
Heat the prepared skillet over meduium-high heat.
Pour the batter into the heated skillet and sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the batter if you like. Bake the cornbread in the center of a pre-heated oven tfor 20-25 minutes until firm to the touch and slightly golden around the edges. Place on a wire rack to cool a bit and allow the cornbread to rest 15 minutes before cutting. This helps keep the slices from crumblin apart. Serve warm.
Yields 8-10 slices.

I made a sloppy-joes inspired meat sauce and served it with the cornbread. I must have told Tuan no less than 10 times during dinner how fantastic and yummy this cornbread is. Seriously - it is wonderful. Yummy, moist but with great texture. So why this particular title? After dinner I stood up to put away the dishes and discovered with much chagrin a painful rash on my leg. More ichyness and further redness appeared throughout the evening. My friends - classic food allergy symptoms. So I will be avoiding corn as much as possible (I can't even begin to list all the things cornstarch is added to) for a week, probably two and then give it another try and see what happens.

So please do enjoy and give a thought to me as you do. :o)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Well that sucks! I'm so sorry.

But I'm grateful for the recipe! :)

Sarah