My sis found directions at this site and another sis gave me the lipids (that really is what the butcher labeled them as) from the last pig they had slaughtered. So I took the plunge.
I started out with this from my freezer.
I put it in the wonderful, awesome, best ever gift from my honey (anniversary) - my new crockpot to thaw and render.
I let it cool a bit and poured it through my collander and ended up with this. Yummy! just kidding lol.
I poured it into my container and let it set to room temperature.
And there you have it. I have decided to store it in the fridge so that it won't go rancid so quickly. You see, I didn't add any hydrogenated fats or preservatives to it. ;o)
Just a warning - you will want to do this on an outside stove, in your summer kitchen or put your crock outside. This process STINKS!!! It smells like boiling a carcass all day. Not pleasant.
I have already used some of it in an awesome cookie recipie which I will post soon. Here's a teaser: cocoa and mint!


1 comment:
a girlfriend of mine renders her own lard, as well. I'm probably going to get some of the fat that she has in her freezer and render my own, too! She raises pigs and the butcher was surprised when she asked for all the fat. Don't want to waste it when you can use it, and contrary to common belief it is actually quite good for you!
Post a Comment