Nestlé-Free Zone



Monday, May 05, 2008

Gardening

When we're not all sick, we are hard at work getting our garden set up. Here are some pics to give you an idea of our progress:


Getting my compost pile started.

Emma and Daniel help mix the soil.


Em took over the camera.

The boxes are filled with soil and are ready to be planted!

These are our two 3ftx3ft boxes. I was originally planning on 4x4 boxes, but when you get your lumber as scrap from local home construction sites like I did (free wood!) you go with the size that's available. Actually, I really like the 3x3s because Em can easily reach all the way to the middle. (not so great when she decides to pull up all the onion plants she can reach.)

The chicken wire cages for the top were a PITA to make but have already come in handy keeping the young transplants shaded from the noon sun and the 30mph wind from blowing the soil away. Oh - and now They're keeping the hungry birds and squirels from my carrot/spinach/pea seeds.



This is our 14ftx1 1/2ft box. Agian - free scrap lumber dictated the size a bit. I am now glad we have the extra room on the edge. You see the onions that I got from the nursery (one container white and one red) contained about 70 onion plants! I couldn't bear to throw any of them away so I planted them all. I'm still trying to find someone that wants some onion transplants - any takers? :o)

The trellis isn't quite finished yet - I snapped this picture just as a storm was rolling in. This box is for our tomatoes, cucumbers, pie pumpkins, squash, peas and beans.



Our starters from the nursery (next year I want to start my own indoors - baby steps). Did I mention the 30mph winds? I brought them inside just after.



Here we have red and green cabbage and a square of mint that I will be transplanting to near the compost pile to discourage unwanted critters.



Here we have broccoli and red and white onions w/ some carrot and spinach seed that haven't sprouted yet.



Thanks for sticking with me to the end here. I'm very excited about our garden (it's my very first) and I really hope it does well!

2 comments:

Dale said...

It appears you're doing the square foot gardening thing. I'd hoped to get one in this year but haven't yet.

It all looks very cool. GL with it all!

Coty said...

how neat...kids just love stuff like this don't they!!!