My current nemesis -------->

Denial: "He's teething, that's all. It's not dairy."
Anger: "Why does every FREAKIN' thing have to have dairy in it?!"
Bargaining: "Maybe it's just pasturized cow's milk. Maybe raw goat's milk cheese will be fine."
Depression: "I miss cheese... what's the point of eating at all anymore without cheese?"
Acceptance: "Dairy's not particularly good for me anyway. And wow, I
know a lot more ways to cook now!"
I think I may be at acceptance now. I wish that I could say that once you get to Acceptance, there's no going back, but I certainly have found myself standing in the middle of the cookie aisle thinking, "I just shouldn't eat anything anymore." Still, it is a natural process to go through!


2 comments:
I feel your pain! I'm a vegetarian with vegan ambitions, but cheese is just So Darn Good.
Feel free to ignore it if you're not interested, but this Cheezy Sauce recipe is pretty good...I make Macaroni and Cheez with it every weekend:
Cheezy Sauce (Veganomicon)
*makes ~3 cups
2 cups veg stock or water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tblsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of dried thyme (crumbled)
1/4 tsp salt
several pinches black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
3/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tblsp lemon juice
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
*I leave out the lemon juice and mustard for my kids
Whisk together the broth and flour in a bowl - set aside.
Preheat a sauce pan over medium; getnly cook the garlic for ~ 2 mins. Add the thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 15 seconds.
Add broth/flour mixture, turmeric, and nutritional yeast. Raise the heat a bit and use a whisk to stir constantly. It should start bubbling and thickening in about 3 mins; if it doesn't, raise the heat some more.
Once it's bubbling/thickening, cook for 2 mins more. Add the lemon juice and mustard. The mixture should look thick and "cheezy." Taste for salt and adjust if necessary.
Pour unlimited quantities over pasta, nachos, etc., and rejoice because it's non-dairy and nearly fat free. :D
Holly
Wow! Thank you, thank you for the recipie! I will never turn my nose up at an un-cheese sauce recipie. Never, ever! Gonna try it under my usual pizza sauce tonight. Thanks again and hope you enjoyed your visit to my blog. :o)
Post a Comment